Thursday, June 28, 2007

Was I that rude?

Last night I was up at the church, doing an activity with the girls who are 8-11 years old. I only had three there last night. They were a rude bunch. We had a fun activity and it was a service project too. All they could say was "I'm bored!" "I don't want to do this." Finally I said, ok, if your bored, leave. Two of them did. Next time we meet for our activity, we are going to be having a lesson on manners.

It isn't just those girls either. So often I see very rude kids. The neighbor kids who come over, knock on the door and peak through the window to see if anyone is coming to the door. I hate that. I'm thinking of putting up curtians over those little windows. Another neighbor girl that use to come over would come to our house and say, "I'm hungry" It didn't matter what time of day it was. Usually I said, well, go home and get a snack, you only live three houses away. Another time she demanded I get her a band-aide. The cut was tiny and in the time it took her to say it, she could have gone home an gotten her own band-aide. We often invited her to eat with us if she was here for lunch or dinner. She would comment negativly on the food I cooked. It was frustrating.

I don't remember being that way. I didn't go to my friend's house to eat food. We went to play. I didn't make comments or demands to my friend's parents. Most of the time we tried to avoid the grown-ups. I always said please and thank you, never demanding anything.

I guess it comes down to the parents. My mom taught us to be polite. I guess these kids don't get taught that. I'm trying to teach my children and I hope that they are polite when they are at a friend's house. Some times I want to invite all these kids over to my house and we have a manners lesson. Well, I may not be able to change the neighbors, but I'm going to double my efforts on my kids.

(Just as I finish this, my nine year old comes in to tell me that his seven year old brother just bit him) Aghh!

No comments: