Wednesday, July 04, 2007

Happy 4th of July


It is such a wonderful day. I love Independence Day. I love what we celebrate and I am grateful to celebrate such a holiday. Thanks to the founding fathers for their inspiration and determination in forming this country. I'm lucky enough to live in Virginia and not too far away from Jamestown, where early Americans came to live and worship. Thanks to the good soldiers who defend this blessed nation.

We have some traditions in our family for the 4th.
First we start the morning with the "Fireman's Breakfast". This started for my husband in his youth. In his tiny town, on the 4th, the firemen in the town get up very early, head out to the town park and start the grills. They cook up eggs, bacon, pancakes, and sausage. When breakfast is cooked, the sirens at the firehouse are blown, calling all in town to the park for breakfast. You gather your family, and stand in line in the early morning Arizona heat. Laughter and chatter abound as friends greet each other. The firemen pile up your plate with food and you find a spot at one of the long picnic tables. Then you feast upon a wonderful breakfast. Well, we can't be there in his little home town, but we have taken the tradition to our own. We cook all the fixings in our house and enjoy the good food.

After breakfast and clean up is play time. Do what you want time. I cross stitched this morning. I'm working on a Christmas stocking for my youngest. My husband started his smoker and is smoking two chickens in the backyard. I vacuumed the pool and before lunch, dear hubby and the kids all jumped in and took a swim. We ate a light lunch and then hubby went up for a nap. The boys played X-Box and my sweet three year old daughter has been playing with her girls. They are here Polly Pocket princess dolls. They have been having quite the adventure today.

Soon, friends will start to arrive for our annual BBQ and pool party. We are going to swim, cook, eat and have fun. When it starts to get dark, we'll head out to see the fireworks. There are two places to go, the ocean front and a large park on a hill, which is unfortunatly named Mt. Trashmore. It should be a great afternoon and evening. I've made cookies, a shoe fly pie, jell-o, and macaroni salad.

The only thing I need to remember is the sun block. I got a nasty sunburn a few days ago and don't want to add to it. Happy and safe Fourth of July! God Bless America!

No comments: