Sunday, October 03, 2010

Homeschool review - Week 2

This week went by quickly It was a  four day week.  We continued working on grammar, and phonics.  They are fine and I think the basics are good to review, but the book we are using is so easy.  It practically gives away every answer.  My daughter even realized this and commented on it.  I'm going to have to come up with something more challenging.

Math is moving along.  I've taught her the quick adding tricks and have showed her how to do double digit adding, but she isn't doing what I've showed her.  Instead of using the tricks, she insists on singing her way through her counting.  So, if the problem is 12 + 10, she sings her way up to twelve and then continues singing until she reaches her answer.  So, each question takes a very long time as she sings and it isn't the most accurate way to add.  I'm going to have to start timing her I guess.

In cursive writing, she is doing amazingly well.  She really loves to write and see the fancy letters.  Last week she learned the letter 'a', but they need some work.

In science we talked about classification and matter.  She enjoyed our object lessons.  Especially when we made the goop from cornstarch and water.

On Tuesday, she discovered The Magic Tree House books.  She started reading one, on her own, on Tuesday evening.  By Wednesday afternoon, she had finished it.  I think I read two pages to her in the middle of the story.  The rest was all her.  Thursday she started another Magic Tree HouseH book.  She finished it today.  My older boys loved those books, so we have about 5 or 6 of them.  She's set for a little while on reading.  It's wonderful because she had not wanted to read at all before and now she loves her Jack and Annie books.

Friday, we went to the state fair.  It was fun and the kids LOVED being there.  They didn't want to come home.  We saw lots of animals and Daughter became friends with a couple of sheep.  My 4 year old son like the hogs and the pigs.

Now, what to do this coming week.....

No comments: