Sunday, July 24, 2011

Philosophical ideas

About a year ago, I discovered the Philosophy and Pop Culture series.  Before then, I had never studied philosophy and really didn't know much about it.  These series of books are essays people have written about the pop culture topic.

I started with The Chronicles of Narnia and Philosophy.  I loved it.  I didn't understand everything they talked about.  I haven't studied philosophy before and I don't know the different philosophers. Some of the essays I didn't agree with the view of the author.  Some of them really caused me to think deeply about various topics.  I loved those.  I started thinking in a more philosophical way.  Why couldn't Uncle Andrew understand the animals when they spoke, but the children could?  Deep, deep thoughts at work here.

Since then, I've read The Lord of the Rings and Philosophy, and I'm currently reading Alice in Wonderland and Philosophy and Pink Floyd and Philosophy.  The next one I want to read is The Beatles and Philosophy!

The Lord of the Rings wasn't quite as good as I had hoped it could be.  The Alice in Wonderland has been challenging to read.  It deals with nonsense and logic, as the Alice stories do.  I'm just not up on all the "great" philosophers and their theories.  I don't understand a lot of it.  It is highly illogical to me, but I'm not sure if it's nonsense or not.  Pink Floyd has been interesting.  I don't know their music that well, but such interesting music with such bizarre words and thoughts have lead to some seriously interesting essays.  I've only read a few, but I've liked them.  One of them discussed how music can form images in our heads.  Sometimes in the form of pictures and sometimes in the form of notes, music, or time.  I have found with me, there are a few specific songs that have the power to form images in my head.  When I tried to explain this to my Hubby, I just sounded dumb. This book has shown me that I'm not the only one who has that experience with music.  Weird and fascinating all at the same time.

We also have in our library Star Wars and Philosophy.  My 13 year old is attempting to read this.  I'll read it when he is done.  I would love to see a NeverEnding Story and Philosophy.  I'm sure that would be very interesting.

I never thought of myself as philosophical until I started reading these books and realized that I do have a tendency to think deeply in a philosophical way sometimes.  For good or for bad, I love to philosophise.  My husband and I are very different in several ways.  I've pondered what it is that makes me obsess about some thing in particular and Hubby doesn't give the same idea a second thought.  Hmmm, deep thinking at work here.  Too bad I'm not articulate enough to explain my ideas here like the authors of the essays in the book.

If you will excuse me, I'm going to go ponder this problem for a while.

No comments: