Friday, September 16, 2011

Can I live in Middle Earth, please?

After a mostly dry monsoon season, we've had some weather the last few days.  We were told to expect an epic storm last night.  Perhaps what we experienced last night was epic for the area, but it was nothing more than a thunderstorm that lasted for about 5 minutes.  I love a good thunderstorm and last night's was just too short.  I guess I'll take what I can get out here.

I love the woods.  Living in a small cabin, deep in a green forest with a stream running close to the cabin is, to me, a lovely idea.  If I could, I would have a summer cabin like this.  I want to sit under the eave of the cabin, with my loom and weave the hours away while listening to the wind blowing through the trees and the stream gurgling as it runs past the cabin.  At night, I would drink hot chocolate while reading and/or writing by the light of the fire in the hearth.  Doesn't that sound idyllic? Of course, I might get bored weaving every hour of every day, so I would also have a garden to tend, I would learn to spin and I would take long walks through the woods.

What a lovely idea.  Of course, I know that living this way has its hazards.  There are wild animals to fear, one must hunt for food, there are the elements to fight, and I suppose after a while, I would get lonely.  I don't really like the idea of wild animals or being at the mercy of the elements, but to live that way I would have to accept such realities.  Plus, I like clean clothes, but I don't fancy the idea of hand scrubbing everything.

After much thinking, I realized I want to be an elf who lives in Tolkien's Middle Earth.  They live in beauty and have much control of their environment.  The elements do not bother them and they are skilled in protecting themselves if something evil should cross their borders.  Yes, I want to be a Rivendell Elf.  Surrounded by beauty, art and music. 

September 22 is Hobbit Day.  I plan on celebrating Hobbit Day by not wearing shoes, making and eating seed cake and not having any adventures or doing anything unexpected.  Since I'm not into the brewing of ale or the smoking of pipeweed, I will brew root beer and light a scented candle in whose fragrance I can enjoy.

Of course there will be real life to attend to and I will be required to drive kids to school, home from school, and to the various activities that several of them have that evening.  No matter.  A Hobbit does not let such things dampen their spirits when it is a day of celebration.

My dream home:
Lauterbrunnen, Switzerland
photograph by Nuno Silva

1 comment:

SLC said...

I love reading your blog - I'll have to get back into the habit. I know what you mean about living alone in the woods. I would love to have the time to sew, read, write and bake without interruption. But as it, I rarely get to do those things without small children needing another glass of milk or whatever. Oh well. We can dream, can't we? I need to find your recipe for seed cake. I think you sent it to me.