Monday, September 12, 2011

Getting what she wants

I had such a fun birthday.  Having my mother here was great fun.  The fondue was fantastic!  I've tried a lot of cheese fondue recipes, but this years was by far the best one.  And then, you can't beat a chocolate fondue.

Things are going pretty well here.  Keeping very busy, that's for sure.  The calendar just fills up.

Peanut (who is 3 years old) has a remarkable gift of communication.  This girl can talk.  And talk in the most complete, complicated sentences.  She has another talent and I can't find the word for it, but let me see if I can describe this amazing talent.

Last night, as I was letting the cat outside, a birthday package was sitting on the front door for me.  I opened it and found a small purse with a box of Whoppers candy.  It was late at night and we had finished our chocolate fondue not too long before.  Peanut saw the candy and she wanted some.  I promised her that I would share with her tomorrow because it was too late tonight to eat candy.

Her one-track mind wasn't going to take that for an acceptable answer.  Over and over she brought me the small purse and would in her most sweet voice say, "Happy birthday, Mama."  My heart would melt and I would give her hugs and kisses.  Then, she would tell me how much she loved that candy.  "Remember, Mama, when I had this candy?  I loved it, but I lost it.  I need more candy."  She would say something to that effect over and over.

I couldn't help but smile and the incredible way she was trying to manipulate me to give her that candy.  When that didn't work, she tried a new tact.  She brought me the purse.  "Happy birthday, Mama," she would say, while holding out the purse.  "Thank you, baby," I would say and showered her with hugs and kisses.  She looks at me and says, "Now it's your turn.  You give it to me and say, happy birthday."  She figured if I went along with the game, I would give her the candy, say happy birthday, and then she would be the owner of the candy and could eat it.

Oh my, little girl.  What a creative thing for her to come up with. I guess now it could be called manipulation, but I think in 20 or 30 years, she could be a women of high position.  She will be able to use these skills and flatter her employees to do whatever she wants them to do.  That's not a bad thing either.  What an amazing leader she will be.

For now, though, it's funny to hear her try these different tact's with me to give her what she wants.  As promised, this morning, I did share some of the candy with her.  She was so sweet when I did finally give her the long promised candy.  She took her candy, hugged me, and said "thank you, Mama," in the sweetest voice. 

There are days (weeks, years) that being a mom is tough.  But, it's moments like "Thank you, Mama" that make the roughest days worth while.  It's the greatest reward as a mom.

No comments: