Thursday, September 29, 2011

Keeping busy

I keep busy all day long with various projects.  Unfortunately, most of those projects do not involve cleaning the house.  Peanut's not helping either.  She loves to look at her books, but to find the perfect book to read, she feels she must pull out every single book and spread them on the floor.  She did that with a row of DVD's today, too.  Now they are in a circle on the floor.

This week began my official first week of school with Robert Gordon University.  So far, it's going well.  I'm caught up with all the reading for the week and have joined in various discussions.  I need to watch one video, but it's 59 minutes long, so, I'll schedule an hour tomorrow to sit and watch a dull interview.  My assignment for one class isn't due until December, but looking at it, it's going to take that long to do.  However, it is on a topic that I adore - names and onomastics - so it won't be a difficult project to do.

I want to do more for my theater, Auntie M's, but without a location, it's hard to do. I have a great play written that would be perfect for October, but I couldn't find a venue for it. Commercial spaces are so expensive and all other ideas I've had for the theater just haven't worked out.   My son has been asking for months for me to start an improv group for him to participate in.  I figured that we could try that.  We'll hold it in our home.  He has been gathering friends that he thinks might be interested.  We have our first meet tomorrow.  My son wants to play all sorts of improv games, but I've told him we'll have to work our way up to most of them.  He is the only one among his friends with any experience and that has been limited to family games.  We'll see how it goes.....

Over the past year and a half, I've sent query letters and the first three chapters of my book that I've written to about 20 publishers and agents.  If any reply has come back, it's been rejection notices.  I keep them all.  They are pasted in my journal.  I've been on the verge of giving up, but decided I'll just keep trying.  There are hundreds of publishers.  I've only just scratched the surface.  When I've been rejected 100 times, I'll think about giving up again.  So, today I sent off query letters to three more publishers. Now we wait.  It can take 2-6 months for a reply.

Well, back to work on more projects.  This afternoon's project WILL include cleaning the living room, rotating laundry and starting dinner.... maybe, if I don't get distracted by something else.

1 comment:

SLC said...

Wow, you have a lot going on. I hope it all works out - the improv group sounds fun!