Monday, June 18, 2012

The Fruits of our Garden

Over the weekend, we harvested some of our garden.  There is more still growing!

This weekend's harvest included:  more peas, green beans, 6 small potatoes, 4 rhubarb stalks, lemon mint, borage flowers and leaves, and a bunch of cucumbers.

I wanted to make rhubarb jelly.  I've never done that before!  I had a hard time finding a simple rhubarb only recipe, but finally managed to come up with one and I got started.  It wasn't difficult at all and I ended up with one jar of naturally beautiful red jelly.

The stalks, already a beautiful red.

After boiling the chopped stalks, pectin and lots of sugar, I hung the mixture in cheese cloth and let it drip into the jelly jar.  In this picture, it had already filled up the jelly jar, but was still dripping some jelly, so I filled up a little Tupperware and we've been eating that.


The jelly jar got canned properly and here it is:

Don't you just love the color??  The mixture in the cheese cloth, we took out and kept.  It's the consistency of chutney and so yummy on crackers.  Who knew rhubarb could be so good.  (Of course, with two cups of sugar mixed in, how could it not be good?)

Coming next:  Pickles, lots and lots of pickles!

No comments: