Thursday, June 28, 2012

Lots and lots of cucumbers

We've had a great harvest of cucumbers from the garden. 

I have never made pickles before, but the reason we grew cucumbers is so we could have pickles!

I read up on a few recipes, bought a 12 pack of quart sized jars, some dill, some garlic, a large box of salt, and a lot of vinegar.

With my husband's help, it took us four pots, three burners, and several hours to do the job.  Most of the cucumbers were cut into spears, but there are some that were sliced.  You can see in the picture below the jar in the middle was sliced.  On Father's Day, we made 12 quarts and 3 pints of pickles. 

Yesterday I made 10 more quarts of pickles and another 2 quarts of dilly beans (pickeled green beans.)  We've got A LOT of canned pickles.  The recipe said to wait three weeks to try them.  I'm thinking on the 4th of July we'll bust out a jar of pickles and see how they taste. 

I hope they are good because we've got 24 quarts of the stuff!

No comments: