Friday, December 05, 2008

mountains

The mountains where we are are really stunning in their own desert way. From my kitchen window I have a very nice view of one of the mountains. I love it. This particular mountain is in the middle of the range I'm going to attempt to describe.

This middle mountain, and I don't know if it has a name, is what I would describe as a typical mountain. It is tall and long. It is very majestic looking. The mountain immediately to it's south has a whole other look. It looks like organ pipes are rising out of the mountain. A very different type of erosion happened there. To the north of the middle mountain is a set of mountains that look like huge sand dunes, like the wind pushed the rocks up the mountains. It is very much like a sand dune, but it is the size of a mountain and made of rock, not sand.

Such three very different geological rock formations right next to each other. It is incredible to look at. I absolutely love it. Ever since I was a little girl, I wanted to live where mountains were. Of course, I wanted to go to Colorado and live among the amazing Rocky Mountains there, but where I am is just a more southern version of that great chain of mountains. I'm so happy to see them out my windows.

1 comment:

Janie said...

congrats on the move! did the house sell in Va beach?
hope everyone is feeling better