Friday, May 22, 2009

first time mom...

I'm realizing that "first time mom" applies to more than just having your first baby.

My oldest will be 11 soon. He is a pre-teen. I'm a first time pre-teen mom. I just signed him up for middle school. I just bought the first can of deodorant (although I probably should have done this a while back). I'm buying size 7 shoes. His feet are almost as big as mine. He is only a head shorter than I am. He mumbles when he speaks. He is quick on jokes and come backs. He is starting to babysit his siblings for short periods of time.

Well, some things about him haven't grown up and he is still a kid. Girls are still to be avoided in his mind and not to be made friends with. Mom and Dad are still ok to be seen with. He prefers the company of his family to his friends. He still sits in the sand box with his little brother and fills buckets with sand.

Can he stop growing? Can he turn 11 and never have another birthday? I'm not sure I want him to grow up. Still, I know he will be a fabulous young man. He is smart and will do well in life. Oh, but I don't want him to grow. I'm so torn... I'm such a first time mom.

1 comment:

Kleanteeth said...

Tell me about it. That river is a scary one to sail down. You can be the driver. Luckily we have another year before middle school. girl are still to be avoided, that's my opinion at least. I don't trust them as far as I can throw them. Although, I'm more worried about my number 2 and the boys I don't trust even more. It's getting scarier and I feel gray hairs coming on.