Friday, May 08, 2009

hobbies

Hobbies are really wonderful things. I've always had a hobby to work on. I started cross stitching when I was seven years old. I still love to do it when I can find the time. One of my favorite ways to pass the time is to put on a great happy movie, sit sideways on the couch with my legs stretched out, and cross stitch.

I had dabbled in other hobbies as well. I did scrapbooks for several years. After my third child was born, I gave up on this one. I have also done beading. I really don't have an eye for this, but I really enjoy it and I've made myself a bracelet for just about every shirt I own.

My Dad has always had interesting hobbies. He has done wood working in many forms, drawing, and right now he makes his own bows and arrows. Dad has an eye for detail and a great deal of patience.

I found, recently, a set of books that were printed in the glorious 70's. It is a set of 24 books on arts and crafts. These are well done and the "guest" they have for each of the hobbies is a professional at this hobby. There are the normal things like sewing, painting, and knitting, but there are things like spinning your own wool, glass blowing, making a wooden flute, smocking, square dancing and cooking exotic foods. I have LOVED looking through these books. I want to do these hobbies! I want to try them all.

The next post or two will show the books and my latest odd hobby.

1 comment:

Martie said...

Wow, it sounds totally intimidating to me. But I am curious to hear what project you will take on first!

So, what are your happy movies??

Martie