Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Cake Contest

It all began in 1979. My brother and I were little, 2 and 4 years old. Mom made a cake for the 4th of July. She took a picture of her cake with us standing next to it. She did it again the next year and then, the Independence Day cake was put to rest, until about 6 years ago.

My brother, who was in the picture with me in 1979, and his wife decided to make their own Independence day cake. The next year they had a contest with each other for the 4th of July. They did this every year. The winner got fame and glory (among the family), the looser had to do the "Carlton Dance". If you don't know what that is, go to YouTube.com, and type in Carlton dance. It is from the Fresh Prince of Bel-Air.

OK, this year, the contest was opened to the entire family and, since we were all together for a big reunion, the cake contest was huge. Secrecy was the word.

On July 4th, we pulled out the cake pans, the icing tips and the Patriotic music. There was lots of laughter and in the end, we had 5 amazing cakes, but only one winner.

This is my sister-in-law's cake. We were all quite intimidated by it. It looked like it could be from a cake shop. It had a flag topper on the cake, but somehow, I didn't get a good picture of it. It was really beautiful!


This was my entry. Cake balls!!!


My sister's cake. It is her depiction of the Revolutionary War, complete with food coloring gore. The little mangled people were made from Fondant.


President Obama, captured in cake. It was pretty amazing to watch her and my brother put this thing together.


My mom's entry - a John Deer tractor.

So, which one won? Take a guess... ready? The Revolutionary War cake! It was very popular among the kids. (I voted for it too). My cake? Well, it received one vote and that was from my good hubby. Oddly, my cake tied for last place with cake #6 - there was no cake #6! My dad, the wise guy, put that vote in.

So, everyone, except for my sister and her husband, did the Carlton Dance! It was great fun. Now I've got to start thinking, what can I do next year? Hmmm, maybe a bust of George Washington.... stay tuned next year to hear how the Annual 4th of July Cake Contest turns out.

No comments: