Wednesday, April 14, 2010

The Passion Test

I picked up an interesting book a week or so ago at the library. It is called The Passion Test. It helps you to find your dreams and turn them into realities by setting up a plan. I've read the first few chapters and it has the rusty gears in my mind turning.

According to the book, the first thing you do is make a list of the 10 things you really want to do with your life. Then through a process explained in the book, you figure out which dream is highest on your list. The book talks about what you spend your most time doing is what you are going to succeed in. Is what you are doing the most related to that number one dream? If not, you will not realize your dream.

So, this is where I am. I did this test (although, at the moment I could only come up with seven dreams). Some of them were far out and at this time can not be accomplished, like running a bed and breakfast. I would love to do that, but at this time of my life, it can't be done and it isn't very high on my dream list.

My top two dreams are: 1. Get a book published, 2. Weave things of high quality to be displayed or sold.

So what am I doing? Nothing really. I weave when I can, but I could make more time if I planned my day better. I did sent out a couple of query letters to publishers about my book, but nothing since December. I'm not working hard to make either of my dreams come true. Last night, I bounced my thoughts of Hubby (he is so good to listen to his crazy wife and her crazy ideas.) I need my book edited. I can't do that myself. I have made a plan of finding an editor. I can send out more query letters. I'm going to take a basic weaving class this summer. Sure, I can weave, but I'm not efficient and I have tons of problems when I'm threading the loom and getting it ready to weave. I spend about a week from start to finish just threading my loom. I need a professional to teach me the best way to do these tricky things.

If I can do those things, I'll be on my way to making my dreams become realities. Those are simply step one. There will be many more things to do, but sometimes the hardest part is getting started. I'm going to get started on these dreams.

1 comment:

SLC said...

Molly - sounds like a useful book. Have you thought about finding a local weaving group or checked with a college nearby that might have a weaving teacher? Good luck.