Sunday, June 19, 2011

To the guys in my life

I've been blessed to have many wonderful men as a part of my life.

First, there is my Dad.  What a great Dad.  My dad is a craftsman.  When I was quite small, I had a wonderful doll house.  Dad made it for me for Christmas.  For many years he did the most beautiful wood working in marquetry.  I have two of his pieces.  Within the last 5 years or so, he got involved in archery.  Not only does he shoot arrows, he makes the bows and arrows he uses.  I have a wonderful bow and several arrows he made for me.  Because of where we have lived for so many years, I haven't been able to go shooting, but it's still great to have something that my Dad created.  He has an eye for perfection.
Dad has a mellow personality and a witty sense of humor.  He and I have always gotten along very well.  He is a hard worker, tells the most wonderful jokes, a good listener, a great story teller, and a nice guy.  I love him so very much.

I have two great brothers.  I never laugh harder than when I'm with my brothers.  They are funny beyond words.  They are the only people I know, who while in their twenties, climbed up on my parent's roof and had a light saber battle.  They, with their families, live near my parents and so they get together often at the parent's house to have dinner or a fun weekend together.  My mom will tell me some insane story about something my two brothers had done and I'll ask her how old were they when they did that?  She usually answers me with, "Oh, that was last week."  However insane my brothers are, they are amazing husbands.  One of them has two daughters and he is amazing with them. The other brother and his wife will have their first baby in a few months.  I know he will be just as great with his kid.  What great brothers I have.

There is my husband.  We've been married for 14 1/2 years! Each year that goes by, I'm amazed and thankful that he has continued to stick by my side. We've been through the good, the bad, the ugly and the amazing.  We've had five kids together!   Why this man continues to love me, I'll never understand, but I know why I continue to love him.  He's good looking, incredibly smart, a wonderful provider, and great company.  He is an amazing father.  The kids adore him.  Some days, when he has to be somewhere and I have to be somewhere else, the kids always want to go with dad.  They love to be with him.  There are days when for whatever reason, I don't get around to the laundry or some other household chore, and he just steps up to it. There are days when he comes home from work to a house in disaster, kids crying, and a wife who is way beyond the end of her rope.  He listens to me rant, gets the kids in order and has them clean up the mess that I had been trying to get them to clean all day long.  He hugs me and loves me even though at that moment, all I can think about is running away to live like a hermit in a remote mountain cabin.  I can't put into words all the amazing things I would love to say about my husband.  I love him.

Last I would like to mention my sons.  I've got three of them.  What neat boys they are.  The oldest one turns 13 in a couple of days.  He is taller than I am and he loves to rub that in.  He is a ham.  My two other sons are very different from their older brother.  They are quiet, reflective and very caring for others.  They are funny, too, in a more quiet, dry way.  My 5 year old son has the most wonderful laugh and he can draw better than I can.  They are all so creative.  They never cease to amaze me.  I can't wait to see these guys as they grow up and what kind of men they will become someday.

I could go on and on about the amazing men I've been blessed to know: my grandfathers, my father-in-law, my brothers-in-law, and many friends.  But I think the best thing I can say to them all right now is, Happy Father's Day, guys!  You are all amazing.

No comments: