Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Teenprov!'s first performance

My teen improv group, which I have named "Teenprov!" will be having their first performance on September 1st.  I'm excited and a little nervous.  We've never done a performance and I'm not quite sure how it is going to go.  It might turn out wonderfully, it might be a bit of a disaster.  I don't know.  However it turns out, I know it is going to be a lot of fun.

My biggest concerns are the fact that the kids can't keep quiet when it is not their turn and that they might not speak up loud enough for anyone to hear them when they are performing.  We've been practicing in my family room and it isn't the same as a stage area.  Oh well, they will figure it out.

It has been so difficult finding a location for us to hold our little performance in.

There is no packing an audience into my living room, so I started searching for a hall of some sort.  Everyone wants money, and lots of it.  I'm doing this for free and the performance will be free.  I don't have the money to pay someone $100 an hour, which is what most places want.

I called local community halls, the parks and rec department and several hotels about their conference rooms.  The local fire station even said they rent out their building for events.  Everyone wants $100 - $200 for the two hours I want the space for.  Yeah, sorry, that's not happening.

I finally called my church and asked.  They had to get permission for us to hold our little show there.  Once it was approved, they told me I could have the gym, but only if some other group doesn't schedule the use of the gym.  I'm thinking, wait a moment!  That is why I called and scheduled the gym for that time, so no one else could.  I don't know... we'll see what happens.

Tomorrow is our final rehearsal before the big show.  It is very exciting!

No comments: