Wednesday, August 29, 2012

The Grapes of Busy

On Monday I had an opportunity to go pick grapes from a nearby farm.  I picked 51 pounds of concord grapes.  I probably would have picked more, but the bees were awful and I'm terrified of bees.  My three youngest kids came with me.

I took my camera, but forgot to get pictures.

Now I've got 51 pounds of grapes to deal with.  Yesterday I made 18 half-pint jars of grape jelly.  That was only using less than 1/4 of the grapes. 

I also picked 16 pounds of apples.  Yesterday I made the most wonderful apple butter!  I made it in the crock pot, so other than peeling apples, the crock pot did the rest of the work for me.  I don't have one of those fancy apple peeler machines, so I peel the apples by hand.  That takes quite a bit of time.  I also made an apple pie.  Mmmm good!

I've got to finish the grapes before I can do more with the apples.  The grapes will go bad faster.

I'll post some pictures of the grapes and my finished products later.

Off to make jelly now!

No comments: