Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Fudge

Every year at Christmas time, I want to just bake and bake and bake. I want to make fudge and other candies. Every year at Christmas time, what really happens is I don't do much baking. Maybe I'll make a couple of batches of cookies, but I never get to do what I really want to do.

There are two reasons for this:
#1 - The kids make baking and cooking so hard. They want to help and I try to let them, but they end up fighting over whose turn it is to add or mix.
#2 - I really don't like the dish mess that comes with cooking

Now, it is September and my husband decides he wants fudge. He looks up a fancy recipe and reads off the ingredients to me. "Do we have all of this?" he asks. I let him know that we do. "I'll leave up this website for you, should you feel like making fudge."

Last night was busy and I ended up having four tired kids last night while he was off at a meeting. He came home and asked, "Did you make the fudge?" No. So this morning he pulls up the website again. "I've got the site up again in case you have time to make fudge." Because, you know, I've got nothing better to do.

The truth is, I love fudge, I've never made it and I decided to give it a try. It is halfway done now. It is very time consuming. I'll have to finish it soon, provided Peanut permits me. I hope it works. If not, he can make it next time.

PS, it is 10:45 and I'm still in my PJ's. Taking care of kids and making fudge hasn't let me have the time to go shower and change. Well, as long as no one comes to the door and I have changed by the time the older boys get off the bus at 2:45, it will be alright. :)

Update! It is now 12:53. Right after posting the above blog, I went and finished the fudge and decided I had better go shower. I start to go up stairs and I hear Peanut screaming. By the looks of her, she had been awake and screaming for a long time. (I guess it is time to finally break down and get a baby monitor) So, I hold Peanut, feed her, love her, reassure her she is not forgotten and when she is happy enough, I gave her her toys, and put her in the living room with her sister. I go shower. After the shower, I came down to rotate laundry and as I'm loading the washer, the door bell rings. It is my visiting teacher! She showed up about 40 minutes after I wrote that little PS at the top there. I'm so glad I got showered and dressed. The house was a total disaster, but I was clean, fresh and wearing clothes! Whew...

1 comment:

Lena Baron said...

That's hillarious!:) How did the fudge turn out??? :)