Wednesday, September 24, 2008

misc thoughts

Well, fall has arrived here, sort of. The last week has been cool, with an almost cold wind blowing for 3 days. I've loved having the windows open to keep the house cool and not use the A/C. The living room window open to our little pond with a small water fall. I love the sound it makes and having that window open is so pleasant. The only problem is the F-18 jets that fly everyday of the week, all day long and late into the night. It wouldn't be so bad if they just flew over us, but our house in right in their turning area, so we get the back burners pointed at us while they make their turns to go back to the base. They fly very low in this area too. This is incredibly loud and can make holding conversations or getting babies to sleep a real challenge.

Still, I love fall.

Yesterday in this area of the country, the New Family Search site was opened to us.
I re-registered (I tried earlier in the year, but it wouldn't let me) and got onto the site. I'm so excited about it all! I looked up some family and couldn't find much new, and some where I found some problems, but one line of the family, I found a line that went back a few generations more than what I had, and this line lead into "royalty" in Wales. I say royalty, but they were dukes and earls and knights of that sort. Once you get into those areas, the lineage was very well documented and so, a great number of names are new to me. I'm a direct descedant of the 1st Earl of Warwick. However, considering the 1st Earl lived during the Norman Conquest in 1066, it is a great many generations back in direct descendant and there are probably thousands who can trace their line back to him. It isn't the royalty I'm interested in, it is just the incredible number of years and generations this is taking me back that I'm loving so much. Can you imagine, I know the names of ancestors who lived in 1066! They were the French speaking Normans who conquered the Old English speakers of England. (I'm not interested in the conquering either, just the fact that I know the names of ancestors who spoke Old French and Old English!) I'm loving the new family search!

So my mom introduced my kids to High School Musical. Not having TV for the last 3 years, I haven't kept up with what is hot in today's youth. For whatever reason, my mom is up on the latest trends and she got my kids the HSM movie. Can I tell you my kids love it? They LOVE it. They have watched it everyday and now I've got all these songs stuck in my head! I like it too, I must admit. My hubby is so embarrassed that his sons should like a musical. He hates all forms of musicals and is tolerant that I like them, but I don't watch them when he is home. Still, I need to get these song out of my head, or as my daughter once put it, music is coming out of my ears!

1 comment:

Larissa said...

Hey, my kids like HSM as well. My oldest doesn't like to admit liking it, but he definitely watches it when it's on. You need to see HSM II. It's filmed here in St. George. I took my daughter to a community production of HSM and it was even better live. It's fun to know that your kids like it too.

See ya!
Larissa