Monday, September 01, 2008

pumpkin time

We planted a pumpkin in our garden. Well, we actually planted 5 pumpkins, but only one germinated. We picked it a few weeks ago and it has been sitting pretty in our dining room, but it was time to do something with it. After much reading on the Internet I learned how to make pumpkin puree.

First, we start with our lovely pumpkin:


Next, I cut the pumpkin and took out the seeds and stringy innards. I saved about 20 seeds. We'll use these next year. As you can see, this pumpkin's insides weren't very orange, they were more white.


I placed the pumpkin half on a cookie sheet with some water and baked it for about an hour or more. This is the pumpkin after I took it out of the oven. It was very, very hot! It sat there for a while until I could pick it up to move it.


Next, I used a spoon to scoop out all the meat from the pumpkin into a strainer. I was really amazed at the amount of water in the pumpkin. After it drained for a while, I used a hand held blender and pureed it.


Today I took the puree and made a pie out of it. I got about 6-8 cups of puree from this pumpkin. I'm not exactly sure how much, but there is a lot. Half is in the freezer and half in the fridge. I'll be making pumpkin recipes for a while! I love pumpkin. And this one is my own pumpkin. I'm very happy and excited about the fruits of my garden!

2 comments:

Lena Baron said...

YUMMY!!!!! We're so sad, we planted several pumpkin plants and all of them pretty much flopped. We got one small pumpkin that fell off it's vine and ripened. I didn't really know, so I didn't get to it in time to cook it:( :(

Martie said...

That is so awesome! We have three pumpkin plants, but nothing grewon them at all. :O( I am so disappointed!

I sure would like a taste of that pie,and my oldest daughter could gobble thewhole thing down in 10 seconds flat. How was it??

Martie