Saturday, March 13, 2010

Don't squash "Booleh"

"Booleh" is the made up language of my 6 year old daughter. I don't know if that is how it is spelled, but it is the closest phonetic spelling I can come up.

One day my daughter came home from school and started speaking sentences in some strange language. I asked her if she was learning Spanish at school. No, she informs me, it's Booleh.

Once in a while she will come up to me and say something like, "Do you know how to say 'dinner' in Booleh?"

Nope

"It's fretoh" (Roll the 'r')

It can get pretty annoying when she is constantly telling me these words she made up. I can't squash her enthusiasm, though. What if Mrs. Tolkien had told her young son to stop all his made up language nonsense. Lord of the Rings could never have been what it became without those fabulous languages that he created.

Who knows where Booleh might lead us!

No comments: