Monday, May 23, 2011

I'm not the only one

With this theater thing I'm doing, I've learned a lot of interesting things about myself and other people.

I think that everyone has deep within them a talent or desire or interest that they have never really explored or figured as an adult, it was too late to explore.

Stick with me, I'll try to explain.

I've moved a lot in the last 15 years. I've had the privilege to meet many, many wonderful people.  Very few of those people knew of my love for theater and my interest in acting.  I don't even think my husband knew how deeply I've loved theater and acting.  I kept that part of me buried.  I was too busy with small children to pursue acting and I figured that as an adult I was too old to do much about it.  Acting and theater were just a quiet part of my past.

This summer, I decided I wouldn't be quiet about my love for theater anymore.  I announced my children's theater and have been prepared for the negative comments that I was sure would be coming my way.  I have been absolutely certain that everyone would say, "Molly, you're crazy.  This is the dumbest idea you've ever had."

I have been wrong.  I can't believe the number of friends who have come up to me and said, "Molly, that is so cool.  I use to love theater when I was a kid.  Let me know if I can help you."  There are a lot of friends who have this similar interest deep within them.  People, who I never would have guessed, have told me how much they love doing theater. They have said they would love to help.  Everyones reaction has been positive.

I've been amazed with the number of people who have wished me luck in my pursuit.  I've been amazed to find out how many adults I'm friends with who share this interest in theater.  I guess most of the time we just talk about kids, husbands, doing laundry and endless cleaning.  We never talk about out dreams for ourselves.  We are afraid of being laughed at, I think.

I'm certainly afraid of being laughed at, but I know if I don't try, I'll never forgive myself.  At this point, I'd rather be laughed at than angry with myself.  You must forgive me of my babblings... I've been reading a philosophy book and I'm prone to deep thinking right now.  Don't worry, it's a phase that will soon pass. :)

1 comment:

Lena Baron said...

Ahhh, this post gave me a hug tonight. Thanks for sharing! I'm so glad this has been better then you expected. We are among those excited for you. Please keep us posted! And keep having fun!!