Monday, May 02, 2011

A story and an announcement!!!

Several weeks ago, one of my favorite blogs to read, The Middle Ages, talked about what we might say to ourselves in 20 years if we had the chance to do so. I think myself in 20 years would say, “Molly, you had a dream, why didn’t you follow it?” I’m going to follow it…..


The story:

Many years ago, when I was 9 or so, I got involved in my local children’s theater. I loved it! Every summer for several years, I performed in plays and was involved in a 50’s-style music group called the Super Troopers. I sang, I danced, I acted, and I loved it. None of us were professional actors, we were just a bunch of kids who enjoyed performing.

At the young age of 11, I wrote my first play, was involved in the auditions, casted the play, directed it, acted in it, and saw it performed. It was a very brave thing for the theater owner, Mrs. Driver, to give an 11 year old her chance at something so big.

When I got to college, I decided I wouldn’t pursue theater any longer. My interests and goals lead me elsewhere, but theater always had a special place in my heart. As the years went by I thought how great it would be to do my own children’s theater, the way Mrs. Driver had hers. I wanted to be able to get kids involved and give them their first taste of theater. It has always just been a dream. For the last 13 years I’ve been busy raising small children.

My youngest is three now. She isn’t a baby. I have found myself to have more free time lately than I have had in 13 years. In the fall, I’ll be starting my Master’s degree (another longtime dream.) So, I have this summer ahead of me. I have decided to pursue a dream I’ve had since I was a kid.

Now the Announcement:

This summer, I’m pleased to announce the first season of Auntie M’s Children’s Theater! Later this month, I will hold auditions for a play I wrote called The Seven Ravens. If all goes well, the performances will be in the second week of June. I’m still working on locking down a location for this undertaking.

I’m the theater merit badge counselor for my son’s Boy Scout Troop and I will be involving the scouts as stage hands, set creators, and such.

This might totally crash and burn. I’ll see it to the end, but I might say when it is all over “Never again!”

However… this might work out. I don’t expect things to go perfectly. I have a lot to learn. But that doesn’t mean it can’t be a success.

Whichever way it turns out, I will have tried. I might try and fail. But if I never try, I’ll always regret it. In 20 years, I will be able to say “Way to go, Molly! You pursued your dream.”

Official announcement of the auditions will come soon and I will keep you informed on this blog as to the progress of this enterprise.

Let the insanity begin!

5 comments:

Lena Baron said...

AWESOME! AWESOME! AWESOME!!!! Yes, keep us posted and I don't see it failing! Have a blast!

stoups said...

Molly, sounds cool. That was so long ago when we did those summers of acting that it seems like a dream. Keep us posted.
Scott T

Mon said...

That is awesome Molly!! Definitely keep up updated! You will be terrific!!!

Molly said...

Thanks ya'll. I appreciate it. I'm very excited about this. Yeah Scott, it was a very long time ago.

Anonymous said...

Go for it, Molly. There's only one way to find out if it will work out. I too put up plays when I was a kid and I also went to a theater for children in Montreal. What great times. Let me know if I can help.