Tuesday, June 01, 2010

random and shelves

We had a fun weekend. It's fun having Hubby home for three days. In those three days he managed to help two people move and visit some other people. There were times I wish he could have spent more of the holiday with us instead of with others, but I'm so happy he is willing to help others. He's a good example to the boys.

We invited a family over to dinner. Only the dad and a couple of the kids came. The others pleaded headaches and didn't come. I was slightly insulted, but what can I do about it? Nothing. They missed a great BBQ feast.

I've been meaning to get stamps for 3 weeks now. I hate going to the post office, but I never remember when I'm at the grocery store. I'm just going to have to suck it up and go to the post office. Some letters can't be delayed any longer.

My husband and I have very different decorating ideas. I think I've mentioned this before. The funny thing is, he has very different tastes from himself. He likes Egyptian and he likes fantasy fairies. They don't go together at ALL. We got a new bookshelf over the weekend (free!). It's very nice looking, so we put it in the living room. He stuffed as many books as possible on three of the shelves. He really wanted to put in the pretty coffee-table picture books we have. That's fine, but then he added some lesson manuals and paper backs that just don't look good. At least, to me. I would rather see a few of the coffee table books placed off to one side of the shelf and some to the other side of the shelf on a different level (if that description makes any sense). Then, the side without books could have a pretty decorative nic-nac, sculpture or framed picture. On the top shelf he has left me some space for my bells. He would like me to cram as many bells as I can on the shelf. Instead I choose 10 of various sizes and arranged them artfully. A small row of metal bells on the front row - two are from India and one is from Korea. Then a row of medium sized bells and in the back a row of taller, larger bells. I won't be sticking any more on the shelf now, but it gives me the freedom to rotate bells throughout the year. I totally forgot I have some Christmas bells that I haven't seen in 15 or so years (since I packed them up when I moved out of my parents home). It will be fun to display them this coming Christmas season!

No point to the shelf thing. It's just a funny observation I've made about the way my Hubby and I decorate. Maybe I'll take a picture of the shelf so you can see what I'm talking about. I'd love to hear with others have to say.

3 comments:

Lena Baron said...

I can relate to the shelving thing! We just put several books away and out of sight. It's more fun to have the nice ones out to "show-off" and the others in more of a convienient but hidden set up.

Kleanteeth said...

About the stamps, you know you can order those online and then you don't have to go to the post-office.

Anonymous said...

I followed the only input she offered me in person...perhaps I should read her blog more often.
For the record, there are other decorations I like, but I already know the front room is off-limits for Lord of the Rings!

-Hubby