Sunday, January 29, 2012

reconnecting in the time machine

About 6 years ago I met a wonderful friend.  I had never had a close girl friend to go out and do stuff with.  Someone to talk to about girl stuff.  It was a kind of friendship I never really had, except with my own sister.  This was an awesome friend.  When we moved away, I was so incredibly sad.  Before I left, she said to me, you will always be my sister and when we meet next, it will be like we never parted.

Over the next few years, I saw her once and talked to her on the phone a small handful of times.  She's a busy lady and I know that, but I would call and leave messages and never hear from her.  There would be the occasional email or hello on Facebook, but that was about it.  Life was busy for both of us.

We've now moved back to the state we lived in when I had this wonderful friend.  We are several hours away, but she travels this direction a lot because she has a sister who lives about 20 miles away from me.  This past weekend, she came to visit her sister.  She invited me to a women's conference her sister had organized.  I went to the conference.

I was nervous.  I was afraid we could never really talk like we use to.  Three years had passed.  I was certain she would be quite disappointed in seeing me and had only invited me to be polite.  When I arrived at the conference, I quickly found her.  She looks exactly the same and she is such a beautiful person.  All my fears and nervousness flew away as we hugged.  We sat together, not hearing the first speaker at all because we were too busy whispering and catching up.

We helped with the clean up at the conference, still talking and sharing news and stories.  At one point I looked at her and said to her, it's so fun to be here standing next to you.  It's like those three years never passed and we were hanging out like this just last week.  She agreed.  That's when you know you have a good friend.  Time doesn't really pass.

With this move, I left another dear friend behind.  She is my sister and I know that when we see each other next, it will be as if time never passed.  We are planning a get together late this year.  I hope all works out for us both that we can make it.  It will be fun to reconnect, share stories, look at pictures of each other's kids and laugh.  Nothing quite like the feeling of being with great friends.

1 comment:

SLC said...

Oh I'm so glad you found your friend again. Very special. I like to think that even though we don't get to see those friends as often as we like, one day in the next life, we'll be neighbors with them again.