Thursday, June 26, 2008

Regrets

We all have things we regret. I certainly have my share. There are many from my life BC (Before Children)that I have regrets over and many more since. Most of the time my regrets are over big things like I regret not going for a Masters degree before having kids. Today, however, I regret something on a much smaller scale. I regret taking a shower.

All I wanted was a few kid free minutes to shower, clean, think clearly and enjoy some needed peace. When I came out of the shower and in the process of dressing, I get a knock at the bedroom door. "Mom, Toddler pooped on the floor!" I groan, "I'll be right there!" I come out of my room to see poop on the floor just at the top of the stairs, I look in his room and poop is on the bed, the floor, a blanket. I gather up the dirty things and start cleaning the floors. I go down stairs and I see huge smears of poop on the floor. Peanut is laying within 2 feet of the stinky stuff. I move her, and look at the damage. Someone had taken a dry dish towel to the poo and had tried to clean it. It didn't work and poo got all over the towel and smeared into the carpet more. I look at Toddler. My mind is in a fury. I yell, "Go upstairs now and get in the tub!" He covers his ears and runs off into the family room. "NO!!!" I run and grab him, his shirt is covered in poo as well as his hands. I grab him and carry him up the stairs. I throw him into the tub, turn on the water and leave to gather more cleaning supplies. After turning off the water I told him not to get out of the tub and I ran back down stairs to clean up the floor.

Ug, I hate the smell, I hate the sight. It is gross. After getting the floor cleaned, I washed my hands and started a load of poo laundry. I wash my hands again and run back upstairs to clean Toddler who is sitting patiently in the tub. By the time he is clean and I'm back downstairs, Peanut was screaming. She had been ignored quite long enough. I cuddled her and smelled her sweetness and sat down to feed her. I sat there wishing I had never gone upstairs to shower. How dare I think I could have a few minutes of peace. I should know better than that by now. I should know that whenever I try to do something for myself the kids make me regret it.

1 comment:

The Roaming Rolfe's said...

We all have those moments! And we all need a few minutes to ourselfs! So, relax, breath, and wait for the next moment to come and go! It happens to fast!