Monday, May 05, 2008

garden, budget and other ramblings

I've sat down many times in the last week to write, but I never get to do it. I've usually got Peanut in my arms, like now, and it makes it so hard to type.

Peanut is growing fast. She is leaving that newborn stage and is becoming a true baby. She sleeps less and fusses more. Her face is very round and her eyes are still brown. I love her. I've had lots of thoughts about her and babies in general lately, but now that I sit here to type, I can't remember any of it. Oh well.

The garden we planted is growing. I want to start a few more rows of things. It is funny, I hate veggies, but I'm so excited about this garden. Hubby and I keep talking about our longing for a "homestead" where we can raise chickens and have a much bigger garden. I would like some fruit trees as well. If there is enough room, I would like to have a dairy cow. We go through so many eggs and so much milk. We will continue to dream for now.

Through some good friends, I'm finding various food programs in the area that provide food for good prices. There is a bread thing here where every Saturday morning at 8 am sharp, you can go get free bread. I love that! I go once a month and get enough to last all month long. I just stick a lot into the freezer. Another friend just introduced me to the SHARE program. For $19 I'll chicken thighs, chicken nuggets, beef steaks, Italian sausage, frozen waffles, 3 lbs of potatoes, and 3-4 various fruits and veggies. I'm excited to get the package in two weeks. I'm working hard to stretch our food budget. I'm hoping to spend no more than $200-250 on food for our family this month. Hubby wants to do a big BBQ party with lots of friends. That wasn't included into the budget. As long as he doesn't have the idea that we are providing meat for everyone. That would kill our budget. Still, I'm hoping to keep our personal budget down. Two hundred and fifty doesn't get much for a family of 7. We'll see, we'll see.....

OK, Peanut has had enough of me typing. Time to rotate laundry and check on the kids.

1 comment:

Kleanteeth said...

If you can feed 7 on 250 a month, that's miraculous. Holy cow. I have a hard time keeping my family of 4 fed under 400 a month. What do you eat?