Saturday, January 03, 2009

Writing with a 5 year old

My daughter, who turned 5 in November, loves to write. With Christmas past, we have been working on thank you cards. I'm pulling teeth to get the boys to do it, but not my daughter. She has used most of my stationary thank you cards and has written 4 to 5 letters.

When she writes, she wants to know how to spell things. It's nice that she cares about this. My 10 year old doesn't care how he spells. So, I have to spell out every single word, one letter at a time. There are a few letters she is still learning and she has developed a very interesting way of making sure she is making the correct letter.

Some examples:
N and M - when I spell out something and we get to an N or M she asks, is it up down up or up down up down? This is of course, how you write the capital letters. I then have to tell you N is up down up or M is up down up down.

D, P, B - These are tough, but she is smart. Last night she needed to write a P. She asked me "is it around around?" No, just one around, I said. "It is around at the top or around at the bottom?" I answered, it's around at the top. Are you seeing this? When it is a D, she asks if it is around top to bottom, and it is.

So, not only do I spell out every single letter to her in every word, I'm also explaining how to make certian letters. It is interesting and I hope she can learn it all by the time she gets to kindergarten, because I'm thinking her teacher isn't going to explain all the letters to her every time she writes them.

PS, if you know anyone who wants to buy a house in Virginia Beach, please let me know. We have got to sell this house soon! Come February 1, if it isn't sold, we are going to start having some major finacial trouble.

No comments: