Saturday, January 17, 2009

yard sales

I love to go to yard sales. When we lived in Hawaii, in the military housing, there were a thousand yard sales every Saturday. Military families who were getting ready to move or just cleaning house would have yard sales. They were the best and I got quite a few nice things, too.

When we moved to Virginia, very few yard sales. Then here in NM, I heard if you got a Thursday edition of the Thrifty Nickle newspaper, a list of many yard sales could be found. I got my Thrifty Nickle and this morning, we took our paper and the map and went bargain hunting. Unfortunately, we couldn't find some of the streets. Now, I'm a good map reader, so it's not my inability to read the map, but I've learned, so much of this city is still growing, even though the street is on the map, doesn't mean that is exists just yet. We came to many dirt roads where the map told us streets should be. For one sale, we found the street, but the number didn't exist. So, we only found maybe 4 of the 10 yard sales we went after. None of them had what we are searching for - a grill, bookshelves, a vacuum, and other little odds and ends. Oh well, I'll pick up my Thrifty Nickle next week and see if we can't do better. Although, I should probably just wait until March or April, when everyone does their spring cleaning.

It was sweet, at one house, there was a little boy sitting out with his parents, who were having the yard sale. My little boy went right up to him, got about 3 inches from his face and said hi. The other little boy said, "You want to come play?" Of course my boy did and they ran into the back yard like best buds. When I finished looking at the yard sale, I had to tell my boy it was time to go. He cried, he fussed, he threw a tantrum. He had made a new friend and they were having fun together. So sweet. I felt bad having to leave.

1 comment:

Martie said...

There's nothing like yard sales on base! I miss them! I love going to yard sales, but I have only gone a couple of times in the last 3-4 years. Bummer!

Want a partner? :O)

Martie