Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Thankful for ryhmes

We try to teach our children to be reverent when saying prayers.  Of course, being kids, this doesn't always work out, but I would have to say that most of the time, they are pretty good about reverence.

Well, tonight was different.  Peanut had a series of things to say in her prayer over the dinner food that had all of us laughing.  I was trying so hard not to laugh I was afraid I would pop a blood vessel in my neck.  First, Peanut said something to the effect of "Thankful for the food.  Bless that can poke out Peanut's eyes." Yes, she referred to herself in the first person (saying her own name, of course, not 'Peanut'.)  Hubby remembers her saying this as poke out and I thought she said pop out, but either way it was a shock to hear her say it during the prayer.

After she said that, I heard two of the kids start to giggle.  Peanut's prayer went on and she said "linner" instead of "dinner" and upon realizing what she had said, she went on to pray, "Thankful for linner dinner, they rhyme!"  At this point several other people started to suppress laughs and that set everyone off.  Peanut couldn't end that prayer fast enough.  And instead of anyone saying Amen at the end of the prayer, we all burst out laughing. 

I think Penaut needs a break from saying the prayers over the dinner food.  We can't have silly irreverence every night. Oh well, what is one night of laughing through the prayer?  We'll work on that reverence again tomorrow night.

2 comments:

SLC said...

Were you there for Dad's dinner prayer of "Rub-a-dub dub, thanks for the grub, Amen"? I thought Mom's jaw was going to drop off.

Molly said...

No, I don't think I was there for that, but that is completely fabulous! Was Gran there too? I'll bet Mom was mortified.